Easy Apple and Honey Mustard Baked Ham
If you’re looking for a great showstopper dish to serve up for your next family meal, or for Sunday lunch with friends, you can’t go too wrong with this delicious apple and honey mustard glazed ham recipe using Bensons Totally Fruity Just Apple Juice.
Slow cooked and baked in real apple juice with a honey and mustard glaze, this popular ham dish is succulent and full of delicious flavour that’s bound to impress dinner guests.
The apple juice provides natural sweetness with a slight tartness that compliments the saltiness of the ham, whereas the honey mustard topping creates a tangy and lightly spiced depth of flavour.
In addition to being amazingly delicious, this apple and honey mustard baked ham is a great dish to serve for special occasions like Easter or Christmas, as it’s so easy to prepare and can feed a large group of people.
The dish can be made in advance, making entertaining on the day that much easier. Especially helpful and convenient for busy hosts or hostesses.
What you’ll need.
- 1 Large whole, boneless gammon joint
- ½ 750ml bottle of Totally Fruity Just Apple
- 2 Bay leaves
- Handful of cloves
- 2 Carrots, roughly chopped
- ½ Red onion, sliced in two
- 2 tbsp Wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- Cut the carrots and red onion and pop them in a large pan that is big enough to fit the whole gammon joint inside. Place the gammon joint on top and fill with water so the joint is covered.
- Throw in the bay leaves and cloves, cover and bring to the boil before immediately reducing to a simmer until cooked through. Approx. 25 mins per 450g.
- Remove the gammon from the pan and let it cool slightly before cutting the skin off the joint, leaving a good, somewhat thick layer of fat covering the ham.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Score the fat in a diamond pattern.
- Place the ham in a large, deep oven dish and drizzle the honey over the top of the fat followed by the wholegrain mustard to create a glaze.
- Pour over the Totally Fruity Just Apple juice.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until nice and golden.
- Serve warm, fresh from the oven, or let cool to room temperature before slicing and serving with chips or vegetables.
Top tip: if you want a less spicy and more sweet flavour for the glaze, swap the wholegrain mustard for a cooler variety like yellow mustard or add brown sugar to the wholegrain mustard.